Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tube Frog & Minnow Flies


This winter my thoughts have been on summer bass fishing with my fly boxes already full of trout flies for the spring season ahead.  Over the last couple of summer seasons, I have been experimenting with using small tube poppers for bass.  I was happy with the preformed foam poppers durability and action.  The foam poppers worked just fine to raise bass to the top but would not last long during the summer season.  So began my obsession to make some new poppers and more realistic looking flies.  The goals were to make flies of various sizes that could be cast with either a 5wt rod for small flies or a 7wt rod for the bigger flies.

I have always liked frogs went it comes to bass fishing.  They are great for fishing bass early morning and late evenings over weeds or near downed structure.  No big bass can refuse a swimming juicy frog.

 I wanted a fly that would be light but with some more shape and style.  My crafting traits took over and I began to experiment with balsa wood and tubes.  My steelhead fly tying lead me to using tubes.  The tube allows for multiple hooks and tails to be used on the same body depending on action and conditions.  I also wanted a more realistic shape to the frog and minnows and the tube does not hinder the shape of the fly and no hook setting is needed in the balsa wood.  Freedom of design and shape of the fly was a big plus.

Some of the frogs and minnows have rattles inserted into their bodies and some have weight inserted to created different actions. The final finish for the painted balsa wood is an epoxy finish to give the flies their durable body.  The tube system allows for the body to move away from the hook to even protect the fly more during a strike.  Also, I find that the removal of the hook from the bass is easier.

As with all experimental flies, we sometimes get carried away.  So was born the Stealth Bomber Frog.  Formed with a chiseled black body with two rattles and of course the prototype had to have a pilot.  It is so cool. Bass beware. 

No comments:

Post a Comment